Sunday, January 13, 2019

Daughters - Hell Songs

Daughters - Hell Songs (2006)



Genre: Mathcore, Noise Rock

Daughters' follow up to their grind-influenced debut saw a somewhat radical departure from their formula, and personally, it was for the better. As a reminder, I do not intend for this to be a really in-depth and complex review. I'm just sharing my quick personal thoughts on the album. As for any album review I do, I try to be objective without letting any personal bias get too much in the way of the final grade. 

Gone are the screaming, indiscernible vocals. Gone is the absurdly repetitive structuring. Daughters were reborn with this album, and it was the beginning of something truly great as far as where their musical direction was going. At only 23 minutes, I was honestly kind of hoping for a bit more, which is a complete 180 from my thoughts on Canada Songs. Let me start my complimenting the compositional styling, which is still very much rooted in mathcore.

The technical intricacies and dissonant distortion is still very much present, but without the intensity and overtly loud and aggressive delivery that was present on their debut. This makes for a much more sonically interesting listen, as not only can one appreciate the technicality of the instrumentation, but also the nuances of Marshall's vocals, which can come off as intriguingly awkward, but subtly aggressive. Honestly, he sounds like a very enthusiastic drunkard mostly throughout, but that's not a bad thing in the context of this album. It's quite fitting. I love the raw and intense noise fiddling and brutal tone that is achieved by every single one of the songs on this record.


Hyperventilationsystem features Marshall singing the line, "Love is a disgusting thing," for two minutes straight, which does wear on you a bit, but I wanted to mention it simply because of how ironically comedic it was. The technicality of the piece is still something to appreciate, just like the rest of the album. As far as highlights go, I feel like I did with their first record, in that all the songs seem to compliment each other. It was a thoroughly enjoyable album, albeit somewhat short, but one that laid the groundwork for Daughters' successful formula. I really don't have much to say about this record except that it was certainly better than I expected it to be.

A-


Favorite Tracks: Daughters Spelled Wrong, Recorded In A Pyramid, Providence by Gaslight (These are just highlights. The rest are still great.)


Least Favorite Track: Hyperventilationsystem

No comments:

Post a Comment